Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thanks, Lord! We'll take it from here...

We can hope that no one in Christendom actually utters those awful words. But it isn't hard to find Christians acting them out. Because we want to be in control. We want to do what we know how to do to "ensure" success. We've read a study or made a plan, and we think we know best. But those words are a disaster waiting to happen.

Serving God is a balancing act. We must bring all of our God-given talents and gifts to bear on our God-given tasks. But we must always know that nothing of lasting value happens without His hand and help. I find myself praying for specific things, because scripture tells us to do that. But I often end my prayers by saying "But Lord. I don't want to drive. YOU drive. I don't know enough about where we're going!" It's how Jesus prayed. Specific requests ("Take this cup from me."). Followed by complete release ("But not my will, Lord. Your will be done.")

So, I know many of you prayed about the FOX News interview last night. And now our task is to release the results to Him. Geraldo wasn't there. A stand-in host was letting Geraldo get a head start on his Christmas vacation. After I sat in the studio, mic'd up and ready for an hour or so, the moment for me to speak of the Star finally crackled through my hidden earphone. The host introduced me by misstating essentially everything I teach about the Star. I needed to launch from that starting block, knowing I might have but seconds of air.

I decided in milliseconds that there was no way to correct all the rubbish without making the host look bad and wasting the only air I would get. So, I ignored all of the misinformation and tried to say whatever would testify to God's glory in the moments I might have.

Disappointing? Humanly, yes. But afterward I immediately practiced what I preach by letting the results go to our Master who sees it all. The result was a kind of elation. Bad interview? Probably. Worthless? Absolutely NOT! God will use it. Perhaps it is the next step up. Perhaps it will land me in a fight over the inane ideas credited to me. It really doesn't matter what the results seem to me, because I know the Lord will get what He wants from this tiny bit of national air time!

If you have time, join me in prayer:

"Father, this balancing act is delicate! We want to work and plan and work some more. But you call us to a kind of work-release program. One where we do our work, always, always, always releasing to you, watching and listening for your next steps, which are often *unexpected* steps. Thank you for the goofy interview on FOX. We ask that you'll exactly accomplish your purpose in it. We ask that it not be cut out of the show. We ask that many will see it and be set wondering about you and your plan for humankind. But we also release it all to you with joy! We trust the one who sees the future with hindsight! What a joy to serve you, Lord! We pray and sing in the name of our Savior, Amen!"

Merry Christmas, all!

Rick